[Market-farming] soil fertility continuing ed

Marty Kraft martyk at allspecies.org
Mon Mar 21 11:32:54 EDT 2011

I have been exploring biochar some. The temperature at which the char
is made makes some difference. It has to be treated with urine,
nitrates, compost or something that will saturate it some with
minerals especially nitrates. Otherwise, for a year or so, it will
keep your plants from getting the nitrogen they need to grow.

Here is a video of a charcoal grinder you can make.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uERRkGNtgxE
There are more shots of the grinder at http://organotill.org/video-
index/  Scroll down to Biochar Efforts.

Http://www.thebiocharcolution.com Is a great introduction.
Johannes Lehmann at Cornell an authority on the subject.

Marty