[Market-farming] soil fertility continuing ed

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Sun Mar 20 17:22:57 EDT 2011

All this talk about lime actually brings up another topic.  I've been
investigating the topic of soil fertility and concentrations of various
elements, as that relates to livestock health while grazing and/or eating forage
harvested from those soils.  Didn't take long for me to get into a real
alphabet soup of elements and relationships between elements and how
concentrations of this impacts that, how pH impacts the whole shebang, and why  soil
test results can vary so much between seasons, between fields and between
years.  Made me feel like I needed to go back to school for a few more  years
just to sort out all this stuff.  Assuming for the moment that a  return to
full-time school is impractical, are there online courses or  continuing ed
courses I can take to learn more about soil fertility, without  actually
going back to University?  I've been doing the several-hours  workshops thing
as they are available, but that usually only whets my appetite  for more,
without answering many of my existing questions.  Maybe it's time  to get into
that topic a little more in depth, no pun intended.  Thanks in  advance......
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, Wa
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html