[Market-farming] Rolling Thunder (was High Tunnels)

Keith Morris earthsurfing at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 20 09:16:53 EDT 2011

Thanks, Robin, for your thoughts.

EQIP has liberalized considerably since they began the High Tunnel program last
year.  (Originally, you were required to get a 30 x 72, single layer, no
electricity/ heat, etc. house.)  At least in Vermont- and there are some
differences state to state- they will let you do anything (Rolling Thunder, 2
layers inflated, bigger house, etc.), but they will not fund these 'add-ons',
you need to pay your own money.

We're looking at spending an additional 2-4k to go for a bigger house and
Rolling Thunder.  While they certainly seem the most refined, I'm sure we could
devise much less expensive ways of moving a house, if we weren't required to do
an engineered/ manufactured tunnel.  I visited with Eliot this summer, and (even
thought I think he gets royalties on the manufactured houses), he suggested just
doing angle iron and wheels instead of the dollies, tracks, etc..

Thanks,
Keith

">>We just got high-tunnel funding through EQIP and are looking at a 30 X
96 Rolling Thunder.  I'd love to hear anyone's experience with these houses.

I have Rolling Thunder envy. I don't *need* another tunnel but I *want* a
Rolling Thunder. Eliot Coleman sketched his rotation plan in the dirt (still had
snow on the ground) for me two or three years ago. It was extremely helpful to
see it even in the dirt.  He was going to be able to cover 6,000 sq ft over the
course of a year with a 1,000 sq ft tunnel. I've considered selling my Quonset
hut style tunnel so that I have room for a Rolling Thunder.  If EQUIP allows it,
I'd absolutely choose this tunnel."

________________________________
Keith Morris
Prospect Rock Permaculture
Design and Education for Ecological Culture
[ProspectRock.org]
P.O. Box 426
Jeffersonville, VT 05464
Keith at ProspectRock.org
(802) 734-1129

"If we do not do the impossible, we shall be faced with the unthinkable."
Murray Bookchin (1921-2006)