[Market-farming] high Tunnels

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Thu Mar 17 10:19:22 EDT 2011

On 3/17/2011 at 10:14:13 AM, Robin Follette wrote:

>   We use a snow blower to clear a 3-4' strip along the sides
> of the tunnels. I'm in a high snow area and I do use the tunnels in the
> winter so they need to be cleared. It's not quite that simple here. The snow
> doesn't usually slide without my help. I work alone in the winter so a rope
> doesn't work for me on regular after-storm clean up. I've started carefully
> using a roof rake. That gets it going from the top down and works well most
> of the time.  There are three steps to what we do: Snow blow the new snow if
> there's more than 6". Rake the roof. Snow blow again. We leave at least a
> foot of snow a foot or two up the side wall as insulation. This does block
> some sun but it blocks it mostly where the ground freezes anyway.

This matches what I did this winter. Based on recommendations from the High Tunnels list,
I bought a "Snow-Brum" and attached it to a telescoping pole from Home Depot. The stiff
foam of the Snow-Brum was very gentle on the plastic--I had no worries about ripping even
when I was hurling the thing upward to reach the peak. Plus it does double duty cleaning
the snow off the cars (which is what it was designed for).

  Richard Robinson
  www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
  Hopestill Farm
  www.hopestill.com