[Market-farming] Sorta OT - getting farm insurance for eggs, meat, dairy

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Wed Mar 16 22:04:29 EDT 2011

Our property started off as a rural house, no farming activity when we
bought it 11 years ago, so at that time we got a residential insurance  policy.
 Fast forward to today, and we have more than enough farming  activities
here to warrant switching that coverage from a residential policy to  a farm
policy.  The last few weeks I've finally started making some calls  to get
that done, only to hit several major brick walls.  First, we already  sell
eggs at market and via our micro-CSA, but the two companies we've contacted
for insurance (Country Financial through Farm Bureau and Whitfield Insurance)
are denying coverage specifically because of those eggs.  We also  already
sell meat animals to zoological institutions, and had planned to do
pastured poultry under what's called the 1,000 bird exemption for WA state,  which
allows on-farm processing per year after a once/yearly inspection.   That
coverage was also denied because of the risks that go with selling  meat.  We
are not yet licensed for dairy, but both insurance agents said  that
wouldn't be covered either, if/when we got licensed.  And these two  insurance
agents are apparently the only games in town, so to speak. The  Country
Financial rep has refused to return my phone calls.  The Whitfield  folks have been
great to work with, and have said we can still get farm  coverage, but
without covering those three particular items.

For those of you with farm policies, have you run into those walls?   If
so, did you get around them or do you just go without coverage for those
specific activities?  Anyone who has any suggestions for how to get  coverage,
or how to live without it (and sleep at night), I'd love to talk to  you
either on-list or off-list.  Thanks all!
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html