[Market-farming] high Tunnels

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Wed Mar 16 08:50:51 EDT 2011

On 3/16/2011 at 8:46:59 AM, somersfarm at dishmail.net wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> During the last snow storm a few weeks ago we lost two 30 x 80 High Tunnels.
> Such a devastating blow to our business!  We absolutely have to replace one
> of them this year in order to somewhat function.  I am wondering for those of
> you who live in high snow and high wind areas, where you purchased your high
> tunnels.  We were so diligent to clean the snow off the tops and sides
> throughout each snow storm, but the last storm was heavy wet snow that came
> overnight.  Thanks ahead for any help you can be.

So sorry to hear about your loss. What brand were they? I have two Rimol 30x48 Rolling
Thunders. I spent a lot of time clearing them off through our 4 major storms, but someone
else in town, also with two Rimols (nonrolling but otherwise identical), appeared to spend
none, with no ill effect. His tunnels had snow piled up the sides onto the top through
much of the winter, and they are still standing. BTW, the time I spent was mostly in
snowblowing away the sides, rather than raking the roof--most of this year's snow slid or
blew off before accumulating too much.

  Richard Robinson
  www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
  Hopestill Farm