[Market-farming] Bio- Plastics vs. plastic mulch

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Tue Mar 15 16:53:18 EDT 2011

On Mar 15, 2011, at 3:43 PM, Sue Wells wrote:

> Does anyone else have comments on Weed Guard Plus? Is this better
> than Bio tel?
> Sue
> Vermont

My comments on all such materials:

1) Check that the specific material actually breaks down leaving no
harmful residues. There has at one time or another been a lot of stuff
on the market being sold as "biodegradable" that didn't actually meet
such standards. -- If it's acceptable for use by organic certifying
agencies, somebody outside the company selling it should have checked
this. If it isn't, there are multiple possible reasons, but I'd
recommend doing your own checking. And I wouldn't assume that because
it's in a garden catalogue claiming it as "organic" that it does in
fact meet current standards; I still sometimes see items so advertised
that I know are not acceptable. When the USDA limited the use of the
word for food products, they declined to limit it for companies
selling garden and farm supplies.

2) Try the material out on a small scale in your own operation before
relying on it. Speed of breakdown can vary considerably depending on
weather, climate, soil type, and the microorganisms in the particular
soil. I've had edges buried in soil break down almost immediately
after planting, with the result that the wind picked the material up
and flipped it over the top of young transplants, doing damage. This
was some years ago, and may not apply to materials currently on the
market; but you do need to check on your own place, in case the
particular material won't last as long as you need it to, in your
particular soil, for your particular uses. Also, some materials may be
hard to lay with some equipment, or may need different adjustment of
the equipment than you're used to, so that laying them properly may
take practice.