[Market-farming] Bio- Plastics vs. plastic mulch

Joan Vibert joan at windwalker-farm.com
Tue Mar 15 12:28:48 EDT 2011

We used the paper mulch last year for onions outside and tomatoes in the
hightunnel.  Really liked it.  It was Weed Guard Plus.  We laid it by hand
without much problem.  Since it was a very rainy spring and early summer, it
degraded outdoors sooner that expected but it still allowed the onions to
get up and size up before getting very weedy.  It was mostly gone by the
time I pulled the tomatoes in the hightunnel.  And, of course, the nice
thing is that anything that is left can either be tilled in or put on the
compost pile, unlike the black plastic which to me is a real hate joke.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, KS