[Market-farming] multiplier onions - Onions grown from bulbs

Dalew Farms dalew at phonenet.ca
Thu Mar 10 09:07:50 EST 2011

I hope you don't mind if I slightly hijack this thread, but it reminded me
of something we noticed with our onions last year, and wondered if others
noticed this last year or in past years as well.
Last year we switched to growing our onions predominately from bulbs.  I've
always used a fair amount of bulbs for my yellow cooking onions. (Sturon
from Veseys seems to work good for us)  Last year I was able to get some red
and white bulbs as well.  We're in a short season area, and bulbs are
usually more reliable, depending on the weather to have good sized onions in
the fall.
Of course, since we switched to mostly bulbs, we ended up with a hot dry
summer for a change.  What surprised me though, was that the red and white
onoins did terrible in the heat!  More than 75% of them went to seed and had
unsaleable bulbs.  We had a very limited # of red and white plants grown
from seed, and those plants did not bolt to seed and done reasonably well.
Of our yellow Sturon bulbs, we did see more than usual #'s of those going to
seed as well, but it was under 10%, and we still had a decent crop of those.
So I did see this much more so in the red and white bulbs, than in the
yellow onoins.
Has anyone else seen this sort of discrepancy between using bulbs or plants,
depending on the weather for a particular season?  (Right or wrong, I
switched back to plants for everything this year except our usual amount of
the Sturon bulbs,  and intend to put most of the onion plants on plastic
mulch.)

Dave

Dalew Farms
Web: www.dalewfarms.ca