[Market-farming] edge of bed grows better

Dalew Farms dalew at phonenet.ca
Tue Mar 8 13:13:46 EST 2011

My first thought also was simply density effect.  Last year we planted
carrots for the first time with a 6 row seeder from Johnny's, and I
definitely noticed that the outside couple rows on each bed were bigger
carrots than the inside rows.  Our other method was using an earthway seeder
and I would usually put only 2 rows per bed, approx 10" apart, and had never
noticed that...but the odd time when I tried 3 rows per bed I thought I
noticed poorer carrots in the middle row, but only a very slight difference.

I had written that off just as a density effect, and planned on doing my
carrots only using every other row on the 6 row seeder this year to see if
that helped.  Alex McGregor's email definitely made me re-think that, but
since we do have a fairly heavy clay soil, I don't think moisture
differences would be responsible for the better carrots at the edges, as
opposed to the middle.  I think it was just density - that the plants on the
edge can branch out slightly more and collect a little bit more sunlight!?!

For harvesting greens, depending on how you harvest, bigger earlier plants
on the edges of the beds could be a good thing...maybe harvest the edge a
few days earlier than the middle of the bed....less reaching and spreads out
your harvest window.  (although I realize sometimes spreading out the
harvest window can also be a bad thing)

Sorry, I don't think I helped much! LOL

Dave

Dalew Farms