[Market-farming] tomato varieties

Marlin Burkholder burkholders at glenecofarm.com
Fri Mar 4 19:46:17 EST 2011

I swear by my pink ³Blossers² and Showalters, Shenandoah Valley family
heirlooms which stand right up there alongside of my ³Old Germans² (also a
Shenandoah Valley heirloom) and yes the universally known ³Brandywine².
Also another rising star is ³Lydia¹s Orange² an oxheart shaped potato leaf
which, unlike many oxheart types, has a sturdy stalk.  ³German Red
Strawberry² has a wonderful fruit but a not so wonderful woefully wimpy
stalk which is about as easy to trellis as a pumpkin vine.  I keep on
growing a few despite its vices because of the fruit.  In general any
tomato, heirloom or hybrid, will be quite good if grown and ripened right.

Marlin Burkholder
Virginia