[Market-farming] odd request for the list

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Fri Mar 4 15:20:00 EST 2011

I was recently contacted by someone who had written an article about
organic farming, and he wanted my "take" on it.  I wasn't sure what to  expect,
nor why he would ask my opinion (or even how he found me).  But I  said sure,
I'll read it. You can read his article _here_
(http://www.softwareadvice.com/articles/accounting/organic-farmers-can-they-be-tech-savvy-1022111/) .

When I did read it, I was rather irritated with the article - its premise,
its arguments and its conclusion all smacked of a profound lack of
understanding  about organic farming and what the issues are.  I wrote back what I
thought  was a very gentle reply, encouraging this individual to "dig a
little deeper" if  he wanted to write about organic agriculture issues in any
sort of competent and  significant way.  His reply to that was "thanks anyway".
 It felt  like a lost opportunity to educate one more person on the issues
faced by  growers and livestock producers, whether organic or not.  On the
other hand  I wondered if I was making a big deal out of nothing.  He's not a
policy  maker, he's not even in the ag industry.  Just some guy who wanted
to write  about organic farming.  But the whole experience gave me a sour
"missed  opportunities" feeling.

I guess I'd be curious what y'all think of his article, and if I
over-reacted.  I'd also be curious if anyone on the list has successfully  "educated"
someone who expressed a general interest in the topic, but came into  it
with what IMHO amounted to a junior high school level of knowledge about the
subject matter.  I think education is so important if we are to protect and
promote the work that we do.  I shudder to think this article really
represents what the public thinks of our efforts (and our intelligence).   Or
maybe I'm just over-reacting.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html