[Market-farming] tomato varieties

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Thu Mar 3 14:31:45 EST 2011

Tomato flavor can vary considerably with exact location, even within
the same area.

I don't get particularly good flavor here from Sun Gold, or from
Rutgers; and I have tried the Fedco strain. I used to get good flavor
from Rutgers, many years ago, in a different location.

My favorite is Mrs. Horst's Oxheart, but that isn't going to help
much, as nobody's got it but me and Mrs. Horst (and, now, an
additional person is offering it through Seed Savers' Exchange). I
like Peacevine (Fedco or High Mowing) for a red cherry tomato and
Lemon Drop (Seed Savers, it's back in the regular catalog this year)
for a yellow cherry. Seed Savers regular catalog also has the original
Amish Paste strain; some other strains of this seem to have gotten
mixed with something that's smaller and doesn't have as much flavor. I
also grow Persimmon for a large yellow (Turtle Tree or Territorial)
and Pink Brandywine; and am still stuck with Big Beef for a standard
large red. I'm going to trial Wisconsin 55 this year.