[Market-farming] compact flourescents for plant starting

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at outlands.ca
Wed Mar 2 16:29:48 EST 2011

On 11-03-02 04:21 PM, Thamnophis wrote:
> I understand the metal halide are the most efficient, and in a color
> temp that seedlings will most readily utilize. They are very hot
> though.
>
> I'm curious - how large an area do you anticipate the $250 system will cover?

I need to cover 40 square feet (that is, 20 standard 10"x20" trays).
Something like 4' x 10'.  You remind me that I need to figure whether it
will be enough.  I presume this depends on the reflector.

> I'm not happy with the traditional 4 foot shop lights, but they are
> $16 complete with 6500k bulbs.

You're lucky to be able to source them so cheap.  Around here, I cannot
get them for less that 50$ (CAD, but still).  They do not ship well, so
I am loathe to buy on the Internet.