[Market-farming] The Sunday Times: Farmers' markets sell'supermarket' foods

michelleann7 at yahoo.com michelleann7 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 12:48:10 EST 2011

When I first bought the new farm in eastern SC (very close to NC and lots of myrtle beach traffic) the local farmers wanted to educate me on where to sell produce to make lots of money. I discovered quickly that running their version of a market farm was growing a few things yourself and resale-ing tractor trailer loads of watermelons, squash, butterbeans, pumpkins and the like obtained from the columbia state farmers market shipped in early from FLA and late from OH. I don't want to grow and sell this way. Even SC state dept agriculture says its okay and we will provide you a certified grown sign if a portion is grown your own.
I don't agree with this and don't see where my local and beach trafficers can continue paying resold 8 dollars for watermelons or pumpkins at a certfied SC grown stand albeit large and good looking but lots of soda grown. Find your niches and offer reasonably priced authentic farm grown fruit and vegetable products and stick to a good diversified farm plan. I for one believe reputation sells repeatedly.
Michelle Hromyak
Romy Farms
SC