[Market-farming] mulching pathways

John Ferree john at seldomseenfarm.com
Wed Mar 2 08:05:14 EST 2011

So. . . do i have this right?

Fall year 1
Plant rye

Spring Year2
prep and lay plastic
plant
at some point cut rye as straw mulch

how is your equipment setup?  you have a tractor that is going to run in
these rye planted wheel tracks?  My concern. . . you're going to have to
sickle bar it to kill it.  After you have run a tractor to prep, lay
plastic, and plant the rye will be lodged and difficult to kill with any
mower.  Then you will have weed problems the next year if rye sets
seed.  Also, rye will get 6' tall in june (here).  Are you going to have
to access the plantings before the rye sheds pollen?

How are you going to manage weeds in the disturbed area before the rye
is cut? If that were planted on may 7 and rye cut on Jun 7 you have 4
weeks of weed development on the plastic edge/ tilled area.

Also, if you have any drainage issues or heavy ground, that rye will
hold water like crazy in a wet spring.  So your plots may be more
inaccessible?

I have considered growing rye and having it baled in a separate plot.

John

Seldom Seen Farm <http://www.seldomseenfarm.com/>
Danville, IN
317.509.7828