[Market-farming] market continuity

Barking Cat Farm barkingcatfarm at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 27 14:48:54 EDT 2011

> On Jun 27, 2011, at 2:16 PM, <clearviewfarm at bluefrog.com> wrote:
>
>> I sell produce at a winter farmers market in Rochester, NY as well
>> three summer markets in the same metro area.  I am on the board of
>> directors of the winter market and we have been debating whether or
>> not to have markets scheduled for the entire 52 weeks of the year;
>> i.e. synching the winter market with the summer markets for a full
>> year presence.  Some think that having that kind of continuity keeps
>> people coming back to us and not going to other outlets (like
>> grocery stores).  On the other hand, some think that we need a break
>> (it would afford me more time to plant veg and field crops in May).
>> Anyone have any experience with that or thoughts one way or the other?
>>
>> Kurt Forman
>> Clearview Farm
>> Palmyra, NY 14522

Here in NE TX, we've had only one market in the area that I'm aware of that tried the year-round scenario, and it did not work.  In our area, the challenge is the scarcity of fresh produce, meats, flowers, etc., during the winter.  There would be nothing fresh to sell during the winter months, which is exactly what happened with the one that tried and failed.  They ended up with a few processors (bakers, preservers, jam and jelly makers) and the other vendors were of arts and crafts.  There may have been other things that contributed to this market not making it, I cannot speak to that.

Not sure if it's a chicken and egg thing, but in this part of the country, people just don't care about going to farmers' markets until the weather starts getting pretty in early spring.  Maybe they would if they had good markets to go to during the off-season, dunno.

Laurie - Barking Cat Farm

Laurie
Barking Cat Farm