[Market-farming] market continuity

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Mon Jun 27 14:30:35 EDT 2011

On Jun 27, 2011, at 2:16 PM, <clearviewfarm at bluefrog.com> wrote:

> I sell produce at a winter farmers market in Rochester, NY as well
> three summer markets in the same metro area.  I am on the board of
> directors of the winter market and we have been debating whether or
> not to have markets scheduled for the entire 52 weeks of the year;
> i.e. synching the winter market with the summer markets for a full
> year presence.  Some think that having that kind of continuity keeps
> people coming back to us and not going to other outlets (like
> grocery stores).  On the other hand, some think that we need a break
> (it would afford me more time to plant veg and field crops in May).
> Anyone have any experience with that or thoughts one way or the other?
>
> Kurt Forman
> Clearview Farm
> Palmyra, NY 14522

Do you require all vendors to come to all markets?

If so, I suspect you would lose some people. If not, I think the
question is whether you can get a reasonable number of vendors to show
up every week, even if it's not the same vendors every week. I expect
you'd also need an alternate manager, if you don't already have one.