[Market-farming] drip tape chewing

SaladG at aol.com SaladG at aol.com
Mon Jun 27 13:16:28 EDT 2011

In the past we have a lot of trouble with field mice, especially it we are
dry in the area.

Phil from Iowa

www.timberridgelamb.com

In a message dated 6/27/2011 11:45:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
barkingcatfarm at mindspring.com writes:

Hi,

We're having a lot of trouble with something  chewing our drip tape. We
haven't caught them in the act nor have we found  droppings yet to help us
decide if it is rabbits or rats or voles etc. I  looked at the archives and the
advice I found to deal with this was:

-  cover the tape
- sprinkle blood meal

Has anyone tried either or both  of those with any success? How about
providing supplemental water (in a small  tank or saucer) nearby but not in the
crop field? We're tired of fixing major  leaks in the drip tape every day.
Our other thought is to add a much lower  wire to our electric fence which
would in theory stop rabbits and larger  varmints like raccoons but not
rodents.

Any advice or real life  feedback is appreciated.

Kim
Barking Cat Farm
NE Texas where the  forecast is hot & dry with a chance of hotter & drier
by the  weekend
Market-farming  mailing  list
Market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org

address and  password):