[Market-farming] drip tape chewing

Barking Cat Farm barkingcatfarm at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 27 12:45:31 EDT 2011

Hi,

We're having a lot of trouble with something chewing our drip tape. We haven't caught them in the act nor have we found droppings yet to help us decide if it is rabbits or rats or voles etc. I looked at the archives and the advice I found to deal with this was:

- cover the tape
- sprinkle blood meal

Has anyone tried either or both of those with any success? How about providing supplemental water (in a small tank or saucer) nearby but not in the crop field? We're tired of fixing major leaks in the drip tape every day. Our other thought is to add a much lower wire to our electric fence which would in theory stop rabbits and larger varmints like raccoons but not rodents.

Any advice or real life feedback is appreciated.

Kim
Barking Cat Farm
NE Texas where the forecast is hot & dry with a chance of hotter & drier by the weekend