[Market-farming] Winter Market Planning

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 13:13:56 EDT 2011

We did our first winter market, once per month, last winter, 10-2 pm.
Our weekly farmers market lasts until Christmas.
One challenge was keeping veggies from freezing, during Jan.
Field crops we're planning for late fall/winter sales include:
Daikons, Austrian Winter Pea shoots (both planted as cover crops)
Cold hardy brassicas, lettuces, mache, arugula
Root crops including carrots, beets, turnips, parsnips.
All of these covered with med-weight row cover to slow ground from
freezing, and can make harvesting under a light snowfall easier.
Turnips and carrots continue to size up under the row cover.
Our snows seldom persist, so insulation with snow usually not an
option.  Under rowcovers, we store most crops in the field, as we lack
a walk-in or a root cellar.

Now that we have an unheated high tunnel, we grow more and harvest
more during late fall and winter, and have a comfortable workspace.
But field crops still a big part of our production.  For late fall,
winter and early spring, for our table, our livestock, markets and
chefs.

More ideas from others appreciated, especially field-grown crops for
winter markets and for chefs.
Richard Moyer
SW VA

Message: 1