[Market-farming] Summer lettuces

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Mon Jun 13 21:08:46 EDT 2011

On Jun 13, 2011, at 8:18 PM, Bill Shoemaker wrote:

> Does anyone use shadecloth or misting to prevent bolting and gain
> more maturity in summer lettuce?

Shadecloth, which also helps keep in the moisture, and keep out the
deer. It helps with bolting, but doesn't really prevent it.

I probably use it wrong, though, and don't get as much cooling as I
ought to: I put it over hoops right down to the ground, just like row
cover that's used for frost or insect protection. I gather that this
may cause it to build up heat; but I doubt it would keep the deer off
if I rolled the sides up.