[Market-farming] scape pricing

Dave or Kathy Campbell dkcampbell at southslope.net
Mon Jun 13 18:19:22 EDT 2011

It's important to harvest scapes when they are tender, because they go woody
pretty fast. Only new, tender scapes are worth eating; woody ones are
worthless!  You have at most a 2-week window to get them.  Get them when
they emerge and have a half curl or so.  If possible, you pull them straight
up to get as much as you can of the ultratender lower stalk.  (Can't imagine
WHAT those chefs were thinking who only wanted the tips-flowering
part?-because they would be discarding the best part of the scape!)  Still,
many will break off higher, but that is what you are trying for, at least.
We get them early and tender, and then keep in the fridge to sell during the
rest of June, until our "real" garlic crop (bulbs) comes in around
Independence Day.

We sell them dollar a dozen at Iowa City Farmer's Market.  Originally only
Asian customers would buy, but now (after 8 years) everyone does.  We
explain that scapes are almost a separate vegetable, great for stir-fry or
pesto (we have a reference file of recipes from the web for customers to
peruse), but ought to be cooked all the way through (by light boiling)
before going in the wok.  Finally, they can be kept year-round by blanching
and then put in freezer bags.  Lot of folks get a year's supply, and do
that.

Dave Campbell / Tiffin IA / Zone 5b