[Market-farming] Market Prices

SaladG at aol.com SaladG at aol.com
Mon Jun 13 13:43:58 EDT 2011

WE have  a vendor that has a couple of large booth's in our market and
they are so cheap that they don't even to try to compete in our market, they
just give it away because their comment is we have to sell all of it, and it
is  a lot.  Truth is they just plain and simple overwhelm our market with so
 much product, no one else can even get close to grocery store price.  I
counted 126 cases of lettuce, 25 cases of greens, lettuce 3/1.00 greens .50 a
 bunch.  If our market was as big as it used to be maybe the other vendors
would have a chance, but now the parking is a mess in the old market area
with  so much going on every weekend and our regular customers are using
other  markets in town on Saturday, they have no less than 5 other markets in
town on  Saturday Mornings and three on Sunday.  What a thrill, College World
Series  starts this Saturday, I love the games, but sales really suck
because this  series puts 3 Million people in town for 10 days and if you need to
go downtown  Omaha for the next week, forget it unless you take a bus or
have a personal paid  for parking spot.

People that go to these events are not going to buy vegetables, they are
looking for fun, not food.  This market is a ton of fun to attend, but when
some vendors are not even using common sense in sales it hurts the whole
market,  and they expect everyone to be as cheap as the other vendors in the
market.  Laura Hodges touched on this a while back, some vendors need to
spend a little more time figuring there actual cost of production of each
product they are growing.  We do around 400 bunches of green each week  mostly
wholesale because of pricing in markets, 1.42 last week to 1.75 a bunch  to
our wholesale outlets and they stop at the farm and pick up.  We get  2.00 at
the markets and sell ok so why in the world would anyone sell for .50 a
bunch.  Figure the time, pick, wash, bundle,and cool, and sell for  .50.  I
figured our cost at .72 a bundle, with no labor bill.

I think some of these conferences in the winter need to do a little more on
 marketing of vegetable products and show how you actually do make a good
living  in this business,  volume is good but selling below cost is just
plain  stupid, and it actually hurts your whole market when selling below cost
of  production.

Phil from Iowa

_www.timberridgelamb.com_ (http://www.timberridgelamb.com/)