[Market-farming] Summer lettuces

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Mon Jun 13 11:51:33 EDT 2011

On Jun 13, 2011, at 8:31 AM, Richard Robinson wrote:

> Can anyone recommend any other summer lettuce varieties that do well
> in hot and humid
> weather?

I agree with Anuenue; also recommend Cherokee and Simpson Elite.
Parris Island Cos does as well here as Jericho, though not as well as
those first three. Pirat will work if harvested young.

Part of the trick to summer lettuce in general is to harvest it young.
I start lettuce as transplants and do 9 or 10 plantings a year, two to
three weeks apart; and use shadecloth.