[Market-farming] Summer lettuces (was What will you be planting this month?)

Roots Farm karen at rootsfarm.info
Mon Jun 13 09:07:54 EDT 2011

We have good luck with other Summer Crisp types (Anuenue also a favorite): -- e.g., Magenta, Sierra; Looseleaf types: New Red Fire; Romaine: Winter Density, Jericho; Oak: Pompom, Truckee.  Limiting condition for us is more likely to be heavy rain (or drought) than our normal heat (82-92) and humidity (year round average about 70%--but significant 2-3 month dry season included).  Heads often smaller and most types must be harvested promptly to forestall development of bitterness.  Not sure how it factors in but we also have only a 1.75 hours difference between short days of "winter" and long days of "summer."

Best wishes to all,

Karen

Roots Farm Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs