[Market-farming] scape pricing

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Mon Jun 13 08:25:56 EDT 2011

Three farmers that grow and sell within 30 miles of each other.  Mike and I are at the same markets, which are heavily urban and Lucy is north of us in Oxford and Eaton and fairly rural.

We sell little garlic right now (selling nothing but our smallest heads at winter market for a premium) so scapes cover the costs of growing the seed crop, which is something to consider.  With the exception of elephant we grow nothing but stiff neck garlic specifically because of scapes and look at them as part of the cash crop.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855