[Market-farming] scape pricing

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Sun Jun 12 16:43:48 EDT 2011

We had scapes unusually early this year and we were picking them very tender.  First ones to have them and were selling them for $1.00 per 5 the 1.00 per 10 when others started having them.  For two weeks we and two other vendors where selling side-by-side with different pricing and we were all selling out.  Now its more valuable to process them, either pickling, freezing, or putting them in pesto.  We sold to several chefs at 32.00/LB early on which is double our herb price.  Scapes are hard to find via the larger food suppliers out there are most definitely a specialty item.

My friend is selling them a bit cheaper now that he is pulling them off 6000 heads, but is doing tasters of grilled scapes with olive oil and pepper and people are grabbing handfuls of them.  Right now he is selling them bulk at 10.00 /LB.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855