[Market-farming] What will you be planting this month?

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Sat Jun 11 20:25:50 EDT 2011

New this year is about 5 acres of buckwheat.  It was pasture but heavy flooding kept it under water for nearly 55 days and pretty much killed off everything.  Before we replant we'll be drilling in buckwheat for honey and milling and seed.

RIght now we are in the middle of planting 160 acres of soybeans for the other portion of our business.  Then its back to hay and late succession planting of onion sets for green onions.  We continue to do a micro green planting of radishes, kholrabi, oakleaf, and deer tongue.  We start seeding brussel sprouts and more cabbage soon.

And honey...we are late in getting our harvest in because everything else is stacked up because of all the rain earlier this spring.  We just had five inches of rain in two hours on Friday.  FLash flooding was amazing.  Fortunately we did not flood overall and after two weeks...of zero rain we actually needed something...which is hard to comprehend.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855