[Market-farming] Colorado Potato Beetles

Dalew Farms dalew at phonenet.ca
Thu Jun 9 09:27:12 EDT 2011

Hello,

The question on Neem oil for squash bugs reminded that I'd been planning to check with folks on this list about using neem oil on Colorado Potato Beetles.  The research I've done so far seem contradictory on how successful it is on CPB.

Last year we used, quite successfully, a combination of DE and Rotenone as a dust once the populations got out of hand for hand picking.  But due to a cosmetic pesticide ban that's been put in place in the province of Ontario, we are (so far) unable to get this product for this year. (I'll leave out any sarcastic comments about organic pesticides being placed into that ban, or the "cosmetic" portion of that for another debate when I have more spare time!)

I've checked with Johnny's, and they can not send to Canada the Azaguard product, which is a neem oil product.  I can find other neem oil products I could order though.  I do have some Mycotrol on the way, but from what I understand that is a preventative product more so than an emergency treatment.  Our populations are not in the emergency range yet, but we are seeing some CPB pressure so I'll try to start using the Mycotrol as soon as it arrives.  If anyone has any experience with that product I'd love to hear about it.  I'm hoping it will prevent much hatching from happening...we just found a few eggs for the first time yesterday in our patches.

Thanks

Dave

Dalew Farms
Web: www.dalewfarms.ca