[Market-farming] Broccoli Variety

cjmaness at juno.com cjmaness at juno.com
Wed Jun 8 18:58:55 EDT 2011

We are getting large heads, or at least what we consider large. About 8" across. I don't have yield calculated yet. We put out about 2600 broccoli plants, and other than Blue Wind (600 wasted plants) we've gotten nice heads off of nearly all of it.
Packman is early followed by Everest, then Premium Crop.
This year everything seems to be maturing faster, and the varieties are running together instead of the succession harvest we've grown used to.
I'm guessing we've harvested somewhere around 900-1000 heads so far, and lots of side shoots.
The weird thing is: we planted everything 12" apart in the row, instead of our usual 18". We were expecting smaller heads but we got larger. I'll never get this farming thing figured out!
Carla
Perkins, OK where I've been picking green beans all day