[Market-farming] Row cover

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Mon Jun 6 19:00:28 EDT 2011

On 6/6/2011 at 6:57:30 PM, Wyatt Jones wrote:
> I got 11 Chinese Chestnut trees, bare
> root, for a dollar apiece and all but one leafed out.  Couldn't pass that up.
> Any wisdom on these out there?.  I know they need good drainage but I
> thought I'd pick some brains before I planted them to give them the best
> chance.

They make nice filtered shade. The branches are on the weak side, and the lower ones may
snap off or die back, leaving an open understory. There is a nice aroma from the blossoms.
The seed coat is very spiny, and breaks down slowly, so don't plant these where you have
foot traffic.

  Richard Robinson
  www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
  Hopestill Farm