[Market-farming] Old drip tape--why does some last longer?

cjmaness at juno.com cjmaness at juno.com
Mon Jun 6 09:21:46 EDT 2011

We've tried every type of drip tape available. Ours never lasts more than one season.
I've watched coyotes grab the ends and chew it and shake it until it's ripped to shreds. Add in all the other critters that chew it up trying to get to water and it's a hopeless battle. It doesn't matter if it's 6 mil, or 15 the critters chew it up. We've tried burying it, as well as on top of the ground. It doesn't matter. They will dig it up.
We also have EXTREME fluctuations in our water pressure. We're on rural water, and while the water district is, working to improve our water pressure/volume of water which we really appreciate, in any given day I can run the same amount I did the day before, and not have enough water pressure. Or, too much.
This weekend, the district had two pumps go out. So, very little water pressure. Today, we are back to normal.
So, we use the cheapest 6 mil drip we can buy. 10,000 ft./roll vs. 7500.
Other than buying equipment, drip tape is probably this farm's biggest expense.
Carla
Perkins, OK  Hot and Dry.