[Market-farming] Old Drip Tape

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sun Jun 5 10:27:42 EDT 2011

On Jun 5, 2011, at 8:07 AM, Vern and Amy wrote:

> Rivka, how do you make the electrical tape stick?  Do you just put a
> short piece on like a Bandaid?

No, it actually takes quite a bit of it. Starting a few inches to one
side of the leak, wrap the tape in a spiral fashion, overlapping it on
each wrap, tight around the drip tape (with the pressure on) till
you're few inches to the other side of the leak; then wrap back over
the same area a second pass. This is considerably faster than cutting
the line and putting a splice in. It only works for what I call
pinhole leaks; for any large cut or slash you need the splice. It also
probably won't stop the leak entirely, but should get it down to about
the amount that an emitter hole puts out.

I think I'm going to toss out a lot of old tape this year, and start
over with new; and try to keep better track of what condition it's in
when it gets picked up again, and toss out anything with a lot of
holes in it. Spent way too much time last year trying to patch some
tape that had too many holes.