[Market-farming] Old Drip Tape

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sat Jun 4 16:52:13 EDT 2011

On Jun 4, 2011, at 3:53 PM, John Ferree wrote:

> When we put a lot of it out for the trash, neighbor kids like to
> throw flares in it and set it on fire along with the insect cloth.
> Good times.

I'd strongly advise against that. Some plastics, when burned, give off
dioxins. I don't know whether drip tape plastic is one of them; but
it's very likely to give off something you (and the rest of the
neighborhood) don't want to be breathing.

Some areas have a recycling setup for agricultural plastics.
Unfortunately, most places don't. The only use I've found for old drip
tape so far is to tie up bundles of old drip tape with, to make it
easier to handle them for the landfill. I do, however, find that it's
often possible to get more than one year's use out of the stuff. Lay
in a good supply of splices first, and of electrical tape for patching
smaller holes.