[Market-farming] odd emails from pech9

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Wed Jun 1 11:00:01 EDT 2011

On Jun 1, 2011, at 9:43 AM, McCormick, Rebecca (Genworth) wrote:

> I am fortunate that I work for a large CO. and I receive my emails
> at work so the antivirus spy ware caught it. I hope the warning went
> out in time for everyone!

In general, people need to be cautious of suspicious emails. People
who are paying any attention, and who are used to being online,
shouldn't have clicked on those links even without a warning. We
probably have people on the list who are only recently online,
however, so:

Emails with links with no text (or with text that's not sensible, or
is extremely vague, or is not characteristic of the person they claim
to be from) are suspicious. Emails to apparently unrelated groups of
people are suspicious. Emails with no coherent subject (or with some
specific subjects) are suspicious. Unexpected attachments are
suspicious. Some suffixes on attachments are suspicious -- I'm not an
expert on which ones. Entirely legitimate emails may show any one of
those signs; the ones under discussion showed three. Only one of them
was visible without opening the email, and people occasionally post
legitimately to the list and forget to include a subject; however, I
don't think any problem was caused just by opening the email, only,
probably, if one then clicked on the link.

In general, if there's no sensible text included, and/or if any of the
other signs of problems are present, I won't click on a link, or open
an attachment, unless I've first asked the person who posted whether
they actually sent it -- and not by replying to that email, but by
emailing them at a known address, or calling them on the phone if it
looks as if their email address may have been hijacked.

In case of doubt: don't open it (that is, either don't open the email;
or, if you've already done that, don't click on the link or attachment.

Note: pech posted to one of the lists that pech is aware of the
problem and trying to fix it.