[Market-farming] Irene????

Deb Taft deb at mobiusfields.com
Mon Aug 29 21:01:00 EDT 2011

Thanks for asking!  I've been wondering too.

I live about 20 miles north of NYC and my little farmlet (one acre) is
another 20 miles north.  Here at home we saw some major wind and rain but
never lost power.  I just went up to the farm this afternoon with a sick
feeling in my stomach, as I had heard the power was out and lots of trees
down on my street, but I was happily surprised.

The trellised stuff was what I was worrying about and aside from 3 or 4
posts down it was way better than expected.  Lost some green tomatoes to the
wind but the plants look fine.  Cukes were on their way out anyway and
actually look no worse than they did on Saturday morning!

Corn and peppers were laid down and made my heart sink as I came up the path
to the field but they turned out to not be broken, just laying down for a
rest.  The peppers, especially, are a big relief as they're really gorgeous
plants and full of fruit.

I think the biggest casualty may end up being my winter squashes.  They're
in the lowest part of the field, are not getting any air flow anyway because
of a luxuriant crop of weeds surrounding them, and were already suffering
some fungal issues.  The *7 inches of rain* is not going to do them any
favors.

There was just one smallish tree down on the fence, which we easily moved
aside.

I feel ridiculously lucky.  It could have been so much worse.

Hoping the rest of our people will check in as they regain power.  If you're
within 2 or 3 hours drive from NYC and need some extra hands, give me a
shout as I wrangle both Crop Mob NYC and Lower Hudson Crop Mob. It's likely
we can get a small crew up to help you out for a day.

Loving this list, as always!
Deb