[Market-farming] too many farmers markets

HERBKDR at aol.com HERBKDR at aol.com
Wed Aug 24 19:12:53 EDT 2011

We were members of a market that was quite unique and doing very  well.  We
had a large Saturday market and two more during the week on  Tuesday and
Thursday with a totally different crowd.  Everyone seemed to be  doing very
well and then a produce auction house opened not so far away.   "Farmers" were
driving and buying vs. growing.  They needed more days in  order to sell
"their" crops!  So what used to be a "unique"  market  with plenty for
everyone soon became a "Seven-Eleven" in four different  locations and operating 5
days a week.  The yearly and daily dues went up  and so did the gas prices.
So that meant that real farmers were losing  money...I know we did.  We had
to drive 3 days a week to make what we used  to make in one Saturday!  We
quit and now belong to a grower only market  and I'll be darned if they
haven't decided to open a satellite market.  We  are seriously thinking farm
stand at home!

Market-farming mailing  list
Market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org

Unsubscribe from  the list here (you will need to login in with your email
address and  password):