[Market-farming] Beans (was: Re: Harvest cart - Crawler or Drangen)

Roots Farm karen at rootsfarm.info
Tue Aug 23 11:21:38 EDT 2011

Greencrop was delicious & productive flat green podded bush bean in MA (even in less than optimum conditions) and also does well in tropical Dominica. I prefer pole beans though -- much easier to harvest and much less susceptible to those rusts and molds from soil contact/splash and, to me, pole beans have best selection of tastes.  I especially like the runner types for taste (and beautiful hummingbird attracting flowers); also the long podded flat ones like Champagne and Kwintus.  Purple pole beans are also lovely.  And for those of you with long growing seasons, winged beans are WONDERFUL (but require serious trellis) and long beans (Asparagus bean) very popular with Asian and Caribbean populations.

Best wishes to all,

Karen

Roots Farm Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs