[Market-farming] Cabbage maturity

Pam Twin Oaks pam at twinoaks.org
Sun Aug 7 14:25:11 EDT 2011

While I'm thinking about cabbages - how do other growers decide when a
cabbage is ready to harvest? I'm interested in growing them as big as
possible before they burst. We look for firm heads, of course. Someone
suggested the "top" leaves of the head (not the outer leaves) become thin
and paler. Someone else suggested waiting as late as when they start to feel
just slightly pointy in the center. How do you decide?

Thanks,
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, VA