[Market-farming] Diatomaceous Earth and Moisture

Allan Balliett allan.balliett at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 06:28:26 EDT 2011

Hi!

I'm having the worst outbreak of squash bugs I've ever had (or heard of,
really)

In the 100+ weather with very high humidity, I've hesitated to use row
covers over late plantings of cukes and squash.

I've lost several of these plantings to hordes of squash bugs who suck the
juices out of seedlings as soon as they emerge.

I just read that a table spoon of diatomaceous earth around the seed hole
will deal with squash bugs (or diatomaceous earth scattered around the base
of mature plants, especially on plastic mulch)

I've never really understood if diatomaceous earth can operate if it gets
wet, which it would here in the high humidity.

After being convinced that it was useless when damp, I learned about the
sprays that actually contain DE, so I have to assume I'm wrong about this
assumption.

But I'd like to hear about your experiences with DE in the field and, maybe,
with squash bugs, before my next planting.

A planting is a terrible thing to waste

Thanks

-Allan in WV