[Market-farming] shopping for new markets

Debbie Moore caverdjmoore at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 3 22:26:58 EDT 2011

> But I guess that begs the related question - how far away is too far? Is
> it simply a matter of time/money spent getting to and from, versus money
> earned while there?

I posted a similar question last winter - how far do you travel to market. In my case, I know I will not be able to do farmers markets forever because of health/age concerns so my goal is to use farmers markets to create a customer base and ask what upscale stores they frequent that would be a good fit for me (I do value-added). My longest drive was an hour and a half. This brings me to the ever-ending Uncle Sam debate since mileage deductions ranged between 50 and 55 cents per mile while I get 35 mpg - quite a difference between the profit in my bank account and the profit on Schedule C. *sigh*

Debbie
transplanted to Zone 6