[Market-farming] sealing off drip tape

Barking Cat Farm barkingcatfarm at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 3 18:31:04 EDT 2011

Our drip tape runs are long (within the specs), and we aren't irrigating a great number of runs at any given time.  We used to use the method shown in the short video posted by Lucy, and it works great.  Might have to try what Bill suggested, as that might be a bit quicker for me personally to accomplish (anything that will get me out of the hotter-than-Africa Texas heat quicker by even a moment these days is worth it).  However, because we have need to flush our lines often due to heavy algae and iron bacteria issues with our pond, we use tape loc couplers with valves from dripworks.  That allows us to very quickly flush out the lines without having to wrestle with a pressured run of t-tape to untie the knot, flush, retie.  Maybe I'm just less coordinated that some of y'all, but that part never goes well for me.  I end up having to hike to the head end, shut off the water to that run, hike back down to the knotted end (did I mention we have long runs?), tie the knot, hike back up to the head end to turn the run back on.

They are $1.55 each (less if bought in higher volumes), and maybe can be had for cheaper elsewhere.  Just thought I'd offer another method that might fit better for some folks' needs.  I realize ours won't be the popular method, as it costs more money.  But since we don't have to have a lot of them, since they can be reused over and over, and since they save us (right now) precious time in the field/heat, they work best for us.

Laurie in NE TX, where we are, I _pray_, in our hottest week of the year.  If it gets any hotter, we might start spontaneously combusting.