[Market-farming] is the list quiet

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Fri Apr 29 22:36:22 EDT 2011

Today was a very big day here.  We finally signed the land lease  that I
think I spoke of this past winter.  We rented 14 acres of  pastureland from
the older gentleman farmer who is one part foster grandfather,  one part
mentor, one part hay broker for me.  His kids and grandkids look  to the farm as
a pretty place and full of memories but none of them are  interested in
actively working it.  I had hoped and worked towards this day  for a long time
and it's finally a done deal.  His eyes were gleaming as we  started to talk
about the livestock I'll be grazing there and the soil testing  I'll be
doing, how I'll keep the pasture tended, how I'll be fencing and  rotating
paddocks, etc.  This is a piece of ground away from the main  farm which has been
under-utilized for many years.  He just didn't have the  energy to get out
there and deal with it.  So having someone working it  again for
honest-to-goodness agricultural purposes (as opposed to something like  a soccer field
or a paint-ball field) is making him all sorts of happy.   It's a big step
for us and solves a lot of feed issues for us, but I think I'm  more pleased
about his excitement at having it in production again.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html

In a message dated 4/29/2011 7:20:04 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,