[Market-farming] Looking for Lemon Grass Plugs

Thamnophis thamnophis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 23:34:44 EDT 2011

Allan,

I used to start lemon grass from the fresh bunches bought at the Asian
grocer. I didn't really know what I was doing but would put them in
water with a half strength nutrient solution. More than half would
root. Planted them in large (5 gallon) black nursery pots and they
grew to an impressive size. It was such a dense growth though, that I
wasn't sure how to harvest it.

I wonder if I could have split the big plants up in the fall, cut them
back and divided them into 20 or so "starts". Overwintered in a cool
dark place they may have taken off in the spring.

If I were to do it again I would aerate the water to keep the bacteria at bay.

Joe
Boone County, IA
5a