[Market-farming] how many plantings of arugula

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Fri Apr 8 21:54:04 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 08:08:14PM -0400, Richard Stewart wrote:
> We use it in two forms, as a 2 to 4" tall micro in our salad mix and year long
> cut and grow crop (so long as you shade and water).  You also have a couple
> varieties out there that do a pretty good job overwintering and coming back in
> the spring (though they are quick to bolt).

I grow "Astro" for sale bunched.  I think 3-4 week plantings are
indicated.  When it starts bolting, I try to keep the flower stalks
picked off but it is a losing battle.  There does seem to be a very
small market for tender flower stalks.  I've tried mowing it close to
the ground  and allowing re-growth, but decided re-planting was easier
and more cost effective.

It seems like it might be feasible to grow arugula year 'round here in
central Texas, but "there is always something".  Sometimes it has spots
that look like probably a disease, sometimes flea beetles ruin it,
sometimes whatever.  I now generally grow it in the winter; when I have
more valuable, less labor intensive, crops I abandon the arugula.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  208 days 16 hours 49 minutes