[Market-farming] The Health Department at the Market

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Wed Apr 6 08:47:27 EDT 2011

On Apr 6, 2011, at 7:16 AM, Allan Balliett wrote:

> So, Coleman makes a cooler (Xtreme) that holds ice for 5 days in
> 90degree weather. If eggs were 42 degrees from the fridge, is it
> logical to think that this cooler would hold them at 42 degrees for 4
> hours or am I making erroneous assumptions? Thanks -Allan

As you're going to be opening the cooler from time to time to take
eggs out, thereby letting warm air in, I doubt it's going to hold the
remaining eggs at 42º  if they start off at 42º.  I think you need
some ice packs in there. You could experiment at home.

I don't myself sell anything that needs to be cooled; but, while
inpectors do seem to vary, I've seen meat, eggs, and cheese for sale
at market in coolers in a number of counties in New York State. State
inspectors do indeed come to the markets, and the only complaint
they've had that I've heard of was about cheese or cheese-containing
baked goods that weren't in a cooler at all.

It seems to me that coolers, with sufficient ice and with
thermometers, would be more secure for temperature than battery-run
refrigerator/freezers. The coolers aren't going to break down, or run
out of battery power.