[Market-farming] greens

Pamela Crowe sustainableharvestsc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 17:56:11 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Don Lareau <dlareau at tds.net> wrote:

>  Pam,
>

> Which greens do you not send through the washing machine and have you ever
> noticed a change depending on the time of year?

Don----

It depends on the tissue quality of the green. Romaine and spinach are
pretty dense, so can take the spinning, but something like baby buttercrunch
lettuce or baby green oak lettuce gets beat up pretty bad real quick, so
don't put it through anymore. What I have also found is that any red lettuce
seems to have the ability to withstand the spinning. .

Yes, time of the year and age of the greens make a big difference.

What is your experience so far?

Pam