[Market-farming] greens

Pamela Crowe sustainableharvestsc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 16:49:36 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 4:12 PM, julie <cliffordfarm at aol.com> wrote:

> Sorry to sound like such a rookie, but we are really having a problem with
> harvesting and sorting greens. We take too long to make it cost
> effective. Do any of you have any advice on how to harvest and sort greens
> quickly? How pickie are you when sorting? Thanks for any advice.

I don't know the specifics of what time you are taking or your calculation
on cost effective, however, greens are labor intensive. I sort when I am
field harvesting, but I know others who sort after wash. I use an old
washing machine to spin dry certain greens, but not all can withstand this,
so others are set out on  screening. This is something that everyone does
slightly different depending on what is the most efficient way for that
particular person and setup. This is why greens are expensive for the
consumer. You may not be charging enough, too.

I can guarantee you it gets better as you perfect the whole process of
harvesting to fit you. I had a horrible time at first trying to get these
done until I knew the greens intimately and found a system which fit me.
It's an upward struggle and some farmers just don't do greens at all because
of this.

BTW, greens from farmers are field washed and not meant to compete with the
processed ready to eat. I have signs posted about Rewash Me, etc.

Pam
SC