[Market-farming] ideal lighting for lettuce

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Tue Oct 26 12:59:14 EDT 2010

Here are a few references that may be of interest.

http://www.actahort.org/books/22/22_25.htm
"The possibilities of growing the crop entirely in artificial light are discussed, but it is concluded that only during the early propagation stage is the use of artificial light likely to be economic. The high efficiency of energy conversion at low light intensities, however, suggests that greater responses may be obtained from lower levels of supplementary light than might have been thought worthwhile. "

http://www.actahort.org/books/230/230_40.htm
"The result showed that day/night cycle ranging from 6 to 72 hr had little effect on lettuce growth, "

http://www.springerlink.com/content/lq51917k31x69418/
"24 hours of artificial light supply improved yield and decreased nitrate content, but did not affect Vitamin C content. "

I searched Google for "lettuce artificial light requirements."

 --
 Richard Robinson
 www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/